Tuesday, December 30, 2008

REAPER

Ep
I am Wernher-Bel P. Ancheta. I am the product of the love of my parents. I was born on February 25, 1992. 10 PM at Bethany Hospital. San Fernando city La union. I spent my early childhood in Aparri, Cagayan. My mother’s hometown. I love to stay in Aparri because life in Aparri is simple. Not like here in San Fernando. It’s so complex. There are fewer tricycles that you can here passing the streets. Life is simpler. And you know you are safe and at peace. Of course because people in the province are better and nicer than people in the city (But of course, not all. Because there are also good-hearted people in the city). The air that you breathe is also fresher and the atmosphere is cooler because pollution is not yet so heavy like here in the city. But of course as time and years passes by. Aparri also changes. More and more Fast food chains are being constructed throughout the province. Internet cafes are also being built. Transportation evolves and more and more cars and other vehicles fill the streets of Aparri. But well, that’s life. One thing can never be the same. As the philosopher once ask in one of the book that I have red (History of Ancient Philosophy by Ignatius Yarza). If you soaked your feet on a river then soaked it again after a few seconds. Is it still the same river that you soaked your feet into? Of course not, because river flows like time does. It’s nice sometimes when you reminisce the moments of your childhood. And write it up like this so that other people will also know who you are and where you came from. And I can still remember the times when I’m playing in our park in Aparri, Cagayan. Wherein we climbed every single monkey bars. Slide through blue slides. Seesawed with a friend or a cousin while sharing childhood stories. We sat on every bench together with my family and cousins. We ate lunch and meryenda in the grassy area in the park where I was once bitten by the ants. We have also gone to the sea. But the sea doesn’t seem to welcome people who want to swim and resort from the daily stresses of life. Because the waves in our beach is huge. So I never got the chance to experience swimming on the beach.
And now, here are my most unforgettable moments in Aparri.
First was when I attended school where I met my very first friend. Marco Polo. I can still remember on our graduation when we were carrying the big bible.
Second, was when we have gone to Callao cave for a field trip. Together with our parents. It is so cool inside that place. The cave has many chambers. Wherein you can see numerous stalactites and stalagmites (the rock formations which you can see on the floor and on the ceiling of the cave. Which are like horns). We have also gone to Tuguegarrao, Cagayan on that field trip. Wherein we have gone to a radio station, a fast food chain (Jollibee), a fire station, an airport (wherein we have experienced to ride on a true airplane), a zoo, and a Planetarium.
Oh and I can still remember the name of my teacher at that time (kinder 1 at kidi kolege, Aparri, Cagayan). It was Ms. Gay Miguel. Together with the pastor that I cannot remember the name anymore.
Those were the happiest moment I wish would not end.
Now I shall share to you my childhood to adolescent story here in San Fernando. The hometown of my father.
I studied in CCNK (Capitol church). When I was four or five years old. It was not as great as the experience when I am in Aparri because I could not remember having a best friend in that school. And I can still remember the principal at that time. It was Mrs. Casuga.
And when I reached the age of six. My mother sent me to Gifted Learning Centre to study. The newest school at that time. Because it was only established in the year 1996. GLC was located at Governor Nisce street. Owned by Mr. Zamoranos and Mrs. Juliet Zamoranos. I spent my six years studying at Gifted Learning Centre. So I consider it my home school and my first alma mater. Who guided me for six years in elementary.
It was a great experience studying at Gifted. Where I met many friends and also foes. I can still remember my best friend’s name. It was Federico Maglayon and PJ Dumuk. I can still recall the times when we laughed out loud and tripped when our teacher is not around. But the most unforgettable of all was the day of our field trip in the Butterfly Garden/ Sanctuary. Where we almost got lost. Because we have really enjoyed hanging out in that place. The time was really not enough for us. And we forgot the time has passed. The school bus for the grade 3 students has already returned to the school. And we (PJ, Fed, and I) were the only grade 3 students who were left. But fortunately we are caught by the higher grades and ask if what our grade is. Then we said: “We are grade 3.” Then they said: “the bus for grade 3 has already left.” So we went together with the grade 4 students. But because we are pasaway at that time. We were scolded by our teachers.
We also have lots of fieldtrips for the 6 years that I stayed in Gifted. We have gone to planetariums, museums, trial courts (RTC), and other places which are really awesome and educational.
Gifted is really a great school even if it is not as spacious as the other schools. It is still the school were I met my friends, foes, good teachers and principal and also crushes. It is my foundation school. Without Gifted I am nothing.
Some of my teachers whom I still remember were teacher Jasmin Gazmen (Science teacher), Teacher Irvin Deloeg (EPP Teacher), Teacher Arneil Padrigan ( Filipino Teacher. But now he is our English Teacher here in Lorma Colleges), Teacher Glenda Bernardo(Science Teacher), Teacher Elizabeth Andrion ( Science and Math teacher), Teacher Michelle Mina (English Teacher), Teacher Jeriel Cardinez (Hekasi and Arts teacher), Teacher Dominador Miranda( Math teacher), Teacher Paz( Computer Teacher), Teacher Daphne Ignacio (English Teacher), Teacher Mosuela (Music teacher), Teacher Dioren Baliton (GMRC Teacher). They were the only teacher whom I can remember by face and by name. And I am very thankful to them. For sharing to us their knowledge. They were all good teachers.
I can also remember our janitor at that time. It was Mr. Tsong and Mr. Edgar. Especially Mr. Edgar because he was a great janitor. He knows many jokes. And he always makes us laugh every time we see him cleaning in the silent corridors of Gifted.
I can also remember our strict principal Mr. Milagros F. Chan. She is very strict and students often curse her because of her strictness. But I’m not one of those students because I am a good boy. I only become bad when I am aggravated by super hard-headed classmates (My foes when I was in Elementary). One was Jerome Misanes, whom I often box with. Because he was too sadistic at that time. Almost all of our classmates hate him. Because of his bad doings. And I can’t help but to revenge with the bad things he has done. But now, I know he is now a new person. He has changed because he was sent to Bible Baptist by his parents in order for him to change. Now he is studying at UCC (Union Christian College). I know because he once came to our house to load his cell phone. That’s why I got the chance to talk to him for a while.
When there are enemies there are also competitors. Because life is boring without competitions. Some of my classmates whom I once compete with lightly (In academics) were: Christian Paul Maglaya, Jazenielle Jo Rulloda, Federico Maglayon, April Joy Apilado, Verne Jules Cabading, Riende Godoy, Aileen Braganza, Aileen Guevarra and lastly my greatest rival Arnel Dario. But it’s sad that I never got the chance to conquer him just for once.
I could not also forget some of my friends Beside from Fed and PJ. They were Ace Florendo and Ronell Jay Navalta. I have made only a few friends. But it does not matter as long as they are true.
That’s my Elementary life. It’s full of lessons to learn. That can guide me through my future.

The next day chapter of my life is high school life. This maybe the most unforgettable of all experiences.
I spent my high school years in the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University Mid-La Union Campus Laboratory High school or simply DMMSU-MLUC Lab High. It is really a great experience studying at DMMMSU even though the facilities in that school is not as good and as many as the facilities in other schools. I still enjoyed it. And I treasure every moments I spent with my teachers, friends, classmates, and other people from that institution. And I will surely miss the moments in the classroom. Where my classmates are so noisy, sharing there own stories to their friends. While the teacher is discussing. The happiest moments when our teacher is not around. We rock and roll. Enjoying the remaining time. The tampuhan and sweet moments of some of our classmates. The kulitan sessions. And of course, we can never avoid na may magka-pikunan at may magsuntukan.But that’s life. The high school life the DMMMSU way. And we cannot also forget when our teachers scolded us because of some reasons. Especially our principal Ms. Cleofe Bello and Dr. Florecita Nartates. Who is very strict. And she cannot control the words coming out of her mouth when she is angry. That was really terrible. But we still thank her for all the things she has thought to us. All the lessons and stories she has shared to us.
I am also very thankful to our teachers from first year to fourth year. Like Mr. Tumbaga ( 1st year Social Studies teacher), who always share to us his not so green jokes. Dr. Florecita Nartates( 1st year Science and 2nd year Biology and Research teacher), Mr. Leonardo Graycochea(4th year Trigonometry teacher), Mrs. Eleanor Nisperos(3rd year Chemistry teacher), Mr. Aloysius Aurelio(2nd year and 3rd year Math and Geometry teacher), Mrs. Noemi Boado(2nd year Computer teacher, 3rd year Statistics teacher,4th year physics teacher), Mrs. Primitiva Quevedo(3rd year Social Studies teacher, 4th year Economics teacher), Mr. Arnulfo Amoite(3rd year Auto Diesel Teacher), Mr. Orlando Ducusin(2nd year Drafting Teacher and 4th year Ceramics Teacher), Mrs. Agnes Vega( 1st year-4th year Filipino teacher), Mrs. Alma Apilado(1st year EPP and values teacher),Mrs. Elena Patacsil( 3rd year English teacher), Mrs. Evelyn Ochoco(2nd yr and 4th year English teacher, and 3rd year journalism teacher), Mr. Rex de Guzman(1st year Speech and drama teacher, 1st year-4th year P.E.H.M Teacher),one of my favorite teacher. Because he always shares to us his funny stories. And also his life stories. Which are sometimes sad.
I am also very thankful to my best friends. Although few but they are true and good friends. Namely: Aljean Apigo (also my batch mate when I am studying at Gifted Learning Centre), Arten dela Cruz, Francis Michael Honrales. We are the so-called The three musketeers. Because we are always seen together. The name three musketeers was given to us by Ma’am Alma Apilado our EPP teacher.
I have also friends. They are Patricia Ofrecio, Kim Han Piell Carmelo, and Krisha Alcantara. Although we are not so close. I consider them my brothers and sisters.
My most unforgettable experience in high school was: First, our field trip when we were in second year. It was a field trip to all the campus of DMMMSU here in La Union. I learned so many things in that field trip. It was also great to see all the DMMMSU Campuses here in La Union. All campuses are so spacious. And offers a variety of courses. Second is the Prom night. Who wouldn’t forget that night. Where we get to dance and talk to our classmates and crushes. It’s really unforgettable. Third are the Christmas Parties. Which are always the same. Always have games. That I have not fully enjoyed because I am a shy type of person. But then I also joined few. No matter what I have to experience joining activities. Fourth was the Poster making contest (3rd year). I won as the 2nd place in that contest but I am not the one who colored my work. Because I am already hungry at that time. Because the contest started late. It was Ate CJ Cacdac (4th year student) who colored it. I was only 3rd year at that time. That is why I am surprised when they told me that I have won. That is why I ma very thankful to Ate CJ.(But I never told her to color my work for me). Lastly, the graduation day. I t was not very special for me. But it was unforgettable and very dramatic for some of my classmates. Who spend most of their time taking pictures together.
Other unforgettable moments were meetings outside the campus. Like when we practice Role plays and dances. And also, when we go to the house of our friends to celebrate there birthday. Especially when the foods are really delicious.
That was all about my high school life.
And the next chapter is my college life.
I am currently studying at Lorma Colleges taking up Bachelor of Science in Information Technology at the College of Computer Studies and Engineering. It is really challenging here in Lorma. Especially when the whole class voted me as the NSTP (National Service Training Program) President. Because I have never experienced to be a leader before and I do not know what to do. But I accepted it as a challenge. Because I believe in myself.
I have also got the chance to show my talents here in Lorma. Because in they never hold a talent contest in DMMMSU. That is why I am very grateful and thankful to my parents because they sent me to school.

This time I am sharing to you my life story outside of school from the starting point of 7 years old. When I was still a kid I am very sickly. That is why I am always confined in the hospital for sickness like dengue and typhoid fever. So I believe that I have not fully enjoyed my childhood years. So sometimes I am a little childish. And I always play with my nephews and nieces (children of my half brother and half sister) like I am as the same age as them.
But now, because being a college student demands more study time. Childish acts are being decreased and I am becoming more mature and responsible on my actions.
Let us go back to the original story. My childhood years are always the same. And I am not the usual kid who spends the whole day outdoors. Because my tita (Tita Bang) brought me a Playstation in exchange for the house plan that my father made. I have always spent half of the day playing playstation with my cousins (Gerald and Clizel). And when I have finished playing. I always draw anime characters and robots. So I only go outside once in a long while (introvert). I only go outside when going to school and going to church with my family. But of course, I have also experience playing outside. Playing hide and seek (Tagu-taguan), Langit-lupa, awt-awtan, Bahay-bahayan, Habulan, biking and other childhood outdoor activities.
I can still remember the moments when I have played with my cousins and other playmates. And I always get hurt because I am a weak kid. I always go home with a wound on my knee. But the most unforgettable of all was when I was 7 years old.
It was a cold night(7 PM) but I have still gone outside to watch Ghost Fighter(anime series). Because my mother watches Mula sa puso (Teleserye with Claudine Baretto as the main protagonist) at that time. Then I have finally found a place to watch Ghost Fighter. It was our neighbor who is watching the anime series. So I decided to watch by the window. At first the place was okay. But then after minutes pass. The place gets crowded and more children like me want to watch by the window. And then I was being pushed by one of those kids. And I was hurt. Then the rumble started. Fortunately our neighbor came to stop us. But then after that fight. I was full of scratches because that kid doesn’t know how to use his fist in fighting. But well, that’s a kid fight which can never be avoided especially if both sides are fighters.
On Sundays we always go to church (St. William parish). Together with my mother and my father. Ever since I was a kid. But then, because I am still young at that time. I still don’t understand the teachings in front. So my mother always lets me sleep in the bench. But when I grew up of course I began to understand what the people in front of the altar are talking about and I ma glad that my parents always brings me to church in order to know that there is a loving God.
Speaking of churches. I have only gone to 7 churches in the past 16 years of my life. Those are: St. William Parish (San Fernando, La Union), St. Jude parish (San Fernando, La union), Nueva Segovia Church (Vigan, Ilocos sur)-it was the biggest church I have seen. 2 churches in Tuguegarao, Cagayan, and our church in Aparri, Cagayan.

I shall now narrate to you my most unforgettable and most terrifying experience in Vigan, Ilocos sur. In the house of my half brother (Wiljohn Ancheta). It was a dark and rainy night. I never thought that there would be a supernatural event that would take place in that house at that night. I have gone to the second floor of that house to discover. Then I decided to go to the room where my mother is. Slowly I opened the door by moving the door knob in counter-clockwise motion. Then a few seconds after I opened the door. There was a very deep voice. A very deep voice that sounds like coming from hell. Saying aaaahhh. Which lasted for about 2 to 4 seconds. And I know that it was no ordinary human voice. Because it is too loud and so deep. A voice of a man not of a woman. During that moment I almost lose myself because of fear. Hopefully my mother was just a few steps away from me. So during that moment I instantly go to her side. Running and very scared. Then people came into that room. My half sister (Winnie Ancheta) and other people whom I don’t remember. Then they told us the whole story about what just happened. They said that the second floor of the house was left vacant because my half brother (Wiljohn) and his family never occupied that space. Because they only reside on the first floor. Even though it was a new house (maybe 20 years old up to this time. Year 2008) we can never avoid supernatural incidents to happen because the wood use in that room was an old wood. A very old wood. And many people believe that old trees has their own guardian spirits which maybe bad or good. So maybe when they saw the tree and used it for a house. The spirit or supernatural entity still stayed their for the wood. And it is proven by old towns folk that old trees have their own guardians. Like this another story that happened here in Flores St. San Fernando, La Union. It also happened at night time. This is a narrated story of my father. I never caught this incident in my naked eyes. But I believe that it is a true story. It was already midnight and I was already asleep. When our driver (Tirso) cam to give his boundary to my father. Our driver is still on the other side of the house (directly under the sampalok tree. Then my father noticed while the driver is on the other side. At the back of the driver were a lady and a kid in white. When the driver was in front of the house. My father asked him:” how about your passengers?”. The driver was amazed and he answered.”What? I don’t have any passengers’ sir” It was then that my father realized that what he saw was a ghost. A white lady as many people say. Those kinds of supernatural events really take place. Especially if you have the third eye. Which has the ability to see the unseen (supernatural entities). And I don’t want to have this kind of ability. Because nothing is more horrifying than seeing a ghost asking help from you. Because every ability must have its equal responsibility from its owner. And that responsibility (having a third eye) is to help people with supernatural problems related to having a third eye. And also, you have to help the ghost that asks helps from you (those who cannot rest in peace. Because they died young. And still wants to live longer.)

Our family is not a typical travel some kind of family. We only went to important places. Few places for discussion purposes. Discussion with relatives and other people.
I can still remember when we went to Baluarte. Balurate was a place owned by Chavit Singson. It was a place especially made for rare animals. You can see their ostrich, a Tiger, snakes, crocodile, and others. It was a nice place especially when you see those ostrich running. And the snakes which are being held by people.

At the age of 12 (1st year high school). I was sent by my mother to study piano at KMM (music and arts learning studio located at St. Joseph village, San Fernando, La Union). I took the opportunity and tried my best by using my free time to practice. And I also attended all of the sessions. But then, it seems like it is rally hard for me . Because playing piano requires a hundred percent concentration in order to press the corresponding keys in the keyboard which the short pieces tells. My teacher (Mrs. Ana Marie Viloria) always gets mad at me (she was a high-blooded teacher). Because I tend to memorize the keys to be played. Which should not be. Because the rule is you have to press the exact key with the correct timing. And memorizing destroys that timing. It was really hard for me to do that ways so I tried to practice and memorize the keys before going to the sessions. And it worked, TMM (teachers mad moments) were diminished.
And then the days passed. At last the day has come. The day that my teacher will give my first piece. To be played on the day of my first recital. To be played at the CAP building. To be seen by my parents and the parents of my batch mates and the teachers in that learning studio (batch mates with different talents to show. Like singing, drawing, ballet dancing, guitar playing, taekwondo and karate do, drum playing and of course piano playing) my first recital piece was moon river a classical song. That is made simpler because I am still a beginner. But it was still difficult. I have spent a lot of time practicing and polishing by piece. At first I was hard up but I have practice hard enough to memorize that piece so at the end I was able to play it smoothly with no mistakes. Days have passed and now the recital day has come. The recital started 3 PM. And I have already prepared. My mother told me to put coins inside my shoes so that I will not become nervous. Hours and minutes have come to pass and at last its now my turn to perform on stage. My heart is beating faster and my hands are getting colder. I cannot explain what is the feeling until I found myself standing in front of the crowd. Then I began to play Moon River even if my heart is palpitating so fast and my hand doesn’t seem to move. But then, after I began to play. I remember the days of endless practices. Practicing that piece. Then a feeling of comfort while playing came to light. I finished the piece having to play it with only 2 mistakes. But then I was able to carry out those 2 mistakes and I continued to play until it was done. I bowed my head. The master of ceremonies (DJ Billy from the FM radio station Love Radio) even asked me something. But then, I am out of myself at that time and all I wanted was to go back to my seat. So I did not answer his question. After that, I was happy. That I was able to play the piece. Thanks to god, my parents and my practice.
My quest for piano playing does not end there. I was able to finish the two beginner course and half of the grade 1 course in KMM. But my teacher will soon go to Switzerland to teach piano. So the learning studio will close. Because of that, my mother decided to enroll me at STARDOM (also a music and arts learning studio). I studied there grade 1 course for piano (it was not still finished because you have to complete 2 books in order to graduate from grade 1. Those 2 books were by John Thompson and Michael Aaron. John Thompson is a little bit harder) . My teacher at that time was Mr. Hidalgo. Better than my teacher in KMM because he is no a high-blooded type of teacher. I have also performed a recital piece in the recital day of STARDOM students. It was the piece ‘Misty’, Also a classical song but a little bit harder than my pieces in KMM (Moon River, I left my heart in San Francisco, Blue Danube, Poltergeist, and the soundtrack of Incredible hulk).
The recital night was also as great as the KMM recital. It has rock bands and other guest performers. And the students were also great performers. And I also played my recital piece comfortably. Unlike the first time that I played my recital piece. That I was too nervous.

But after that, my mother enrolled me at musicians corner to learn to play the guitar (because that is my wish).My teacher at that time was Sir Bhong. But it is really hard to play the guitar. Not like the piano that you would only press the keys. But then, I learned something. I learned how to play the intro of Narda (a song by kamikaze), intro of Pinoy ako (a song by Orange and Lemons), intro of Welcome to the black parade (a song by My chemical romance), intro of Magbalik ( a song by calla lily) and others. And I was able to convert piano pieces into guitar pieces. And guitar pieces into piano pieces. It’s really good that you can play the same song on different instrument even if it is a simple song. I also learned to play our National Anthem, the Lupang Hinirang because of guitar playing. That is why I am very thankful to God that he gave me good parents who are willing to spend money in order for me to learn something.
Apart from piano playing and guitar playing. I also love to draw (my original god-given talent). And because of that, I have started to collect my drawings since grade 5 or grade 6. And at present (year 2008), I have filled 11 old magazines with drawings and other materials (dried leaves, advertisements, newspapers, projects and others). Those 11 old magazines which I call ‘Album of Artworks’ are my treasures.
I also love to read books. Some of which that I have already finished are: History of Ancient Philosophy by Ignatius Yarza, Ethics by Fr. Eddie Babor, and a General psychology book. I also read Readers Digest, National Geographic, and other books which interest me. But I cannot find those books that I really want to read (Great Mysteries: opposing viewpoints). I have only red the two of those collection of books. The Bermuda Triangle and the El Dorado land of gold. Which my father brought from the largest floating bookstore (MV Doulos). Because I have a great interest on supernatural events. Even though I don’t want to have a third eye to see some super naturals.
I also love to watch anime online. Some of which that I have already watch and are still watching are. Death note (a story about a person named Light Yagami who has owned a death note dropped by the shinigami ( Death god) Ryuk. Light Yagami wants to change the word by using the death note to kill all the criminals in our world.), Hunter X hunter ( tells about the quest of Gon Freaks and his friends to be a licensed hunter and to find his long lost father who is also a hunter ( Gin Freaks), Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (story of a girl who is very much interested on the super naturals like Espers (one who has ESP of Extra Sensory Perception), Time travelers, and Aliens (Data Integrated Entities). And who also has melancholia. An illness characterized by being bored on the daily events of life. Much more like being depressed But it is of a different level), Onepiece movies and specials (stories of the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy (a devil fruit user) and his pirate crew. Outside the episodes shown. Some of which are: Omatsuri Island adventure, clockwork island adventure, Mystery of the the legendary sword, kingdom of Alabasta: the complete retelling of the story, Chopper and the land of mysterious animals , and others), Onepiece episodes (The quest of Monkey D. Luffy to be the pirate king), Bleach (story of Ichigo Kurosaki, a high school student who can see ghost), Naruto/ Shippuden ( story about Naruto, a ninja who is a Jinchuuriki. A Jinchuuriki is a human who has a monster inside).
I am also a music lover. My favorite bands are the Beatles, Spongecola, YUI, Parokya ni Edgar and Siakol.
This is my life story. My life is not as exciting as the life of other people. But I am satisfied and happy with what I have. But sometimes you cannot avoid to ask for more. Live your life well. Find the things that makes you happy. Always make use of the new day that God has made to improve yourself and to love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment